Wednesday, February 15, 2012

the art of truly listening.

It's 3am, and I really shouldn't be awake. I committed to an extra shift on my only off day this week and will have to be up and getting ready for work in four hours. I know, I know, it's responsible of me, but I honestly just want 24 hours to myself. That never happens anymore.

But anyways, it's 3am and I'm listening to one of my favorite bands, trying to figure out spots in their music that could be enhanced with the addition of a flute and I'm hearing all these parts I've never noticed before. Perhaps I need to spend more time listening to music fully engaged?

I mean, how often do you listen to a song and hear everything in it? Even if it's your favorite song in the world, do you know all of its tiniest secrets? Have you familiarized yourself with its harmonies, with the sneaky bass lines, or moving melodies? Do you know what makes it tick? Is it more than a catchy melody to you? Do you know why the lyrics exist as they do?

This experience is beautiful. I strongly suggest it. Insightful---and I don't mean just into the music. I feel like I'm learning a lot about myself right now, too. That could just be a side effect of the sleep deprivation, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment