Saturday, December 31, 2011

It's that time of year...

Just about an hour left in 2011. In true procrastinatin' fashion, I've decided to recount my year's top music experiences. Here's hoping I can get this drafted & posted before the ball drops, right?


TEN: 
Getting mail from Columbia Records. Getting tickets to a sold out show is cool. Having them mailed to you from Columbia is cooler. It makes you realize that you're "making it". The show was pretty rad.  Oh, and it was cool that I caught on to the Foster the People kick before it was in full swing and nabbed an interview, too. 


NINE: 
Getting invited to the Cleveland Orchestra Social Media & Blogging Event. This was cool because I was in my element, but out of my element at the same time. I'm a huge orchestra buff and a classically trained musician, so that part of me was totally on board, but as a blogger, I'm not really in touch with that aspect of myself. I tend to cover a different type of music entirely, so I was kind of misplaced for the evening, I'd say. Nevertheless, it was cool to see that there are lots of people writing about the music that began my true love of music. Maybe one day I'll be one of those people.


EIGHT: 
Playing in a contemporary ensemble. I'm in a trio right now and it's out there. It's based off of free improvisation and it's crazy and oh-so-liberating. I'm learning more about myself as a flutist in this ensemble than I ever learned in a lesson in college. I'm even learning how to vocalize my true voice, through the flute. It's pretty damned cool. Kyle & Matt, I'm eternally grateful for all that you've taught me and all you continue to teach me. I hope in 2012 we keep pushing boundaries! 


SEVEN: 
Interviewing Daniel Kessler of Interpol. As if meeting Interpol wasn't cool enough, I nabbed the interview for them when they were breezing through Cleveland. Talking to DK was cool because he's badass and it was rad to pick his brain. It was also like the whole experience came full circle since talking to Interpol in February is what lead me to pursue music journalism. 


SIX: 
Being a part of something really cool...The Lighthouse & The Whaler Kickstarter. It made me feel really good to donate some of my hard-earned cash to my buds in TLATW so that they could go out to Bear Creek in Seattle and record their new album. I'm dying to hear it!!


FIVE: 
Housing Paper Thick Walls for a night. Sometimes shit hits the fan. For bands, sometimes things don't work smoothly while you're touring. For PTW, whomever was supposed to put them up the evening they played in CLE bailed. I rose to the occasion because I know what that fear is like that you experience when you think you have nowhere to stay. It was awesome having them all over, their sleeping bags and instruments filling my living room. Even made them vegetarian french toast for breakfast so they'd feel at home. I just remember that experience filling me with such joy because I got to help a group of musicians out. And I made some new friends, too. 


FOUR: 
Becoming Editor of The Vinyl District-Cleveland. It's been a lot of work, and at times, trying, but becoming the editor for the Vinyl District Cleveland has been a truly amazing experience. I've seen many shows, interviewed some rad bands, and spread the love of vinyl. What more could a girl ask for? 


THREE: 
The Beachland Ballroom asked me to cover a concert (okay, they asked me to a few this year) but there was one in particular that totally rocked my world. That show was the Death of Samantha reunion show. I won't lie, I didn't think I'd be into their music and I had no idea how to approach the interview with singer John Petkovic, but I knew that seeing a band play together again after a twenty year break was a once in a lifetime experience. So I did what I do best: I prepped for the interview (and nailed it), I listened to the music, and I went to the show. What I found there was a RIOT. The band was wild on stage, the music was fuckin' awesome, and I found my love for punk rock rekindled. Props, dudes. 


TWO: 
CHICAGO. There's nothing about the windy city experience that wasn't awesome. Okay, correction: the bus in the city sucked, but everything music related, AWESOME. I went to see Bon Iver, I got to hang out with my pals, The Damn Choir, and head to Indy with them for a show, and I got to stay with a couple of guys from the band. Everything about Chicago was great and I just can't wait to go back. 


ONE: 
This year's BEST experience was the catalyst that was responsible for all of the other experiences you've (hopefully) read about. The number one spot goes out to the gentlemen from Interpol, whom I met in February after winning a contest from Superglued.com. Meeting Paul, Daniel & Fog and talking with them about literature made me realize that picking the minds of musicians is not only an awesome experience, but a constant reminder that though the path may be difficult, it is a worthy path and taking it does not make me naive, but in fact, brave. I'm choosing a life filled with music- be that in a classroom, in a therapy setting or at a concert. I'm learning more about myself by engaging with other musicians and I can never thank the guys of Interpol enough for lighting that spark within me. 


*phew* I made it through. I wish you all the best in 2012 and hope you'll keep reading. There's going to be a lot more going on here and a TON more music. I caught 125 bands this year and I'm hoping to catch waaaaaaaay more in 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment