Thursday, August 11, 2011

Local Library Rocks Out?

I'm not sure what to say about this show. I think I'm still trying to process the idea of a library putting on a rock show. Unheard of, methinks. But here I am, sitting at the Read House beside the Mentor Public Library, enjoying a free show on a Thursday night.

Tonight's band is Prisoners, a Cleveland band which includes Drew Ritchey, a library employee.

What to say? I can dig their sound instrumentally, but I can't understand their vocalist. Either this equipment isn't great or the singer needs a little work on his microphone technique. I'll give him this, the kid's got energy. Not nearly as much energy as the drummer, but how do you compete with a guy rocking rad glasses, wicked sideburns & gauges? (You can't.) There's no evident communication between band members, but they keep it together. What an enigma.

These guys have an interesting sound. I want to say I hear some Violent Femmes influence, maybe some Strokes. There's some obvious retro sound going on, a straightforward fifties/sixties rock influence.

If you're interested in catching these cats out, you can check Prisoners at The Happy Dog in Cleveland on August 17th.


No comments:

Post a Comment